Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Story Design Challenge Pre-Production

Hi all,

I entered the story design challenge on WoLD. The story is this:

"Fire takes what it wants and what it wants is usually what we hold most dear. But a little is always left behind - a new start."

I started looking at images and came across this one:


I began to think that the new start wasn't necessarily visible. Maybe the new start was something the individual had to search for through the debris, like this man is doing in the picture. I resolved that the level would be a house that had burnt down with a single person searching for something in the wreckage, that person being the player.


I then came across the picture above and decided this would be the loose skeleton of the building. I liked the brick as it would provide an interesting texture to the ruins. I will place a few pipes, a few burnt pieces of standing wood, but this is the basic layout.


Beyond that, I would try to build the layout above, burnt trees surrounding the scarred landscape of the house. Possibly a fully structured house nearby.

Here are some other images I'm using for inspiration:













No comments:

Post a Comment